Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What is a size 6X anyway?

Update: Since writing the below post, I had a conversation with my sister in which she encouraged me to google my question. Upon doing so, I found out that the most common definition of a 6X size is that it is like a 6 1/2. However, this still did not answer my question as to why this appears on this size alone. Alas, I was alerted that I have not skirted this issue completely. Apparently this same issue appears on the boy end of things as a size 7X. And even better than that, apparently there is a need for a size 6 1/2, but when you get past size 8, you actually skip size 9 altogether. There is a size 7/8 and then it jumps to 10/11. Is this true? Girls out there....help! I guess I have a lot to learn in the realm of children's clothing sizes.

Original Post: So I always knew the day was coming that I was going to have to face the poignant question, "What is the difference between a size 6 and a size 6X?" For those of you who are mothers of boys, you may not know. But when you get to this all important size in the land of girls, it breaks down into a size 6 and a size 6X. To my knowledge, this is the only place that this occurs. The sizes then continue on from 7 in their normal fashion. There is the slims and the huskys, etc....but that has already been around in the lower sizes as well.

Anyway, I digress. So back to my question. Does size 6X mean it is a little longer for those who are a little taller at this age? Does it mean it is a little wider for those who are a little, "uh-hm", healthier at this age? What does it mean? And why is it necessary that it exists only in this size? I cannot tell you the sleep that I lost over this approaching size dilema. (Not really, but doesn't that make this story that much more interesting.)

So here we are. About to have to deal with this head on. And as a little diversion from this pressing matter, I went to a consignment shop yesterday and bought Megan several pairs of size 7 pants. That is right...I dealt with it like I deal with lots of other important matters. Try to ignore it and maybe it won't exist. So I come home with my size 7 pants realizing that they are not going to fit right now and that I am still going to have to face the size matter at hand. When all the sudden, I decide to try the pants on Megan. And can you believe it!?! They fit! Right now! I have been saved from this! We skipped over it all together.

So I still don't know what a size 6X is but it doesn't matter! We will never have to deal with it! One childhood dilema averted! Woohoo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so true.... what is a size 6x???? Sizes in general are so crazy. Jillian has some 5, some 6, some 6x(although a tad large in the waist, some 7 and even some 8 slims. UGH.... I always have to fit my kids. I can't go by size.